The Fair Lab approach provides students with knowledge and tools to study, analyze and develop responsible projects for third parties – businesses and organizations – while in Florence.
The Fair Lab model is organized in the following way:
- First part: Classes explore the challenges of sustainability and the responses of leading organizations (Lecture style, 15h).
- Second part: Students develop their projects with host organizations (Project style, 30h work in class).
- Third part: Students present their project to local partners.
- Outcome: Specific Projects for local organizations supported by lectures, seminars, cases, and visits.
In more details:
1) An overview of general concepts and tools delivered as a general introductory material (15h; 1 of 3 credits).
Topics (example of)
- The Business Case for Sustainability
- Sustainability Management System Schemes
- Communication & Stakeholder Engagement
2) Developing the project (30h; 2 of 3 credits)
- 1 team project on the sustainability challenges of local organizations
- Approximately 3-5 students per team
- Hosts and teams negotiate project scope, schedule, and deliverables
- Teams work remotely with organizations; Mentors coach the teams
3) Presentation and Deliverables
- Written analysis for host
- Presentation to class and host
- Poster presentation to the local community at the end of the experience
While in Florence, students can tailor their experience to fit their educational goals by taking other courses for 3 (45h) or 6 (90h) credits (example of) in our areas of specialization. Examples of courses in English:
- Brand Communication and Sustainability
- Media Relations and Journalism in the age of Citizenship
- Responsible Tourism and new business models
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Social Business and innovation in Italy
- Arts, Media and Technology for sustainability
- Know & Experience Innovative standards for organizations
- Practical activities and new tools to support your sustainability journey
- Understand the business case for sustainable initiatives
- Understand the relevance of impact, scale, networks and cooperation
- Compare and use international and Italian frameworks to implement sustainability